1892 The Farm House at Turville Heath Farm was built for Edmund Harman who tenanted the farm for many years.
1914 Edmund's son William Harman bought the farm at the outbreak of WW1. Through the depression years of the 1920's and 30's, William worked hard to raise his family of ten children. WW2 brought better prosperity for the farming community, but William continued to work the land in a traditional way, using horse drawn ploughs, and shunning the use of modern fertilisers.
1957 Albert Harman took over the farm. Known as Bert, the third successor to Turville Heath Farm was a keen naturalist and during his farming career he refused to follow the trend at the time towards 'modern' intensive farming methods. At this time, Bert kept the farm as a way of producing food for his family, until his death aged 85.
1995 Tony Harman and Robin Harman - Bert's son Tony and grandson Robin took over the farm after Bert's death. Tony's great passion for ecology steered him towards this aspect of the farm. Robin began to restore the livestock element of the farm, selecting traditional breeds and methods, at first focussing on the want to provide for his family. The livestock element was slowly built up using natural methods.
2008 Robin was approached by local conservation bodies, including the Woodland Trust, to graze areas outside his farm. These partnerships grew and developed the livestock grazing on ever larger areas of conservation land across the Southern Chilterns.
2014 Robin wanted to see his meat reach the plate, completing the field-to-fork journey of his livestock. The burgers, goulash and baps served in the cafe at weekends are made using Robin's own outdoor-reared, grass-grazed meat. All other ingredients are sourced locally and sustainably wherever possible.
2015 The Barn at Turville Heath is born. The Barn is not only an outlet for the farm's produce, but a valued amenity for visitors to the Chilterns AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty).
The Farm in 1947